Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Convention Updates - Part 4 ... Gen Con ... the rest

Well, it's been a little too long to remember all the pertinent details of Gen Con now. Only the big events stood out. So instead of giving them to you on a day per day basis, let me throw them at you numerically.

1. There was an awesome demo of Run For Your Life Candyman.

When you do demos where you try to be animated you run into three groups. The first group wants none of it and will never participate no matter what. The second group gets that it's okay to be all chanty and tribal (because yelling "Rip it off" is always fun) and they get into it by the end of the demo. The third group dives in head first and never looks back.

I had a table filled with the third group. We had chants of "Rip it off/out" going whenever someone lost a piece. "Cage Match!" when cage matches were started. We booed when there was little mayhem and screamed "Grudge match" when it old rival went at it again. We had one guy who sat there and started four cage matches in a row. I had to start a "King of Cage" chant for him.

I don't know what inspired me to do this, but about thirty minutes after the moment of silence for Gary Gygax The King of Cage got knocked out of the game. For some reason, I stood up and said the following:

"Everyone please stand ... a moment of silence for the King of Cage .... ... .. Thank you."

It was great.

2. Seeing Jess and her family.

Jess Hartley is an amazing person and I'd call her a pretty damn good friend who, despite knowing me for a pretty short time, is more than willing to chat and give me swift kick in the arse when needed. ^_^

I got to hang out with her, though usually we ended up crossing paths at around 2:00 am, and her family who are also awesome.

3. Seeing people I don't usually get to see, and meeting the people they know.

My friend Jamie showed up, because he lives in Chicago and it's a lot less far from Indianapolis than Toronto is. He had his friends and they were lots of fun to be around. I got to play some of the old Cyberpunk CCG with Jamie and his crazy decks.

Also hanging out and helping Curt from Smirk and Dagger games and seeing the Slug crew totally makes it all worth it.

4. Annoying the heck out of the Adventure Games booth.

Seriously folks, the first time you hear the exact change dance it's funny. The second time amusing, the third time it's annoying and every point beyond that makes you want to fly into a murderous rage. It's personally how I feel about Munchkin and since SJG is in that collection I'm not too sure that it's that much of a coincidence.

5. Awesome games of CyberGen

I managed to get two really good games of CyberGen off the ground. Dark and Stormy went off wonderfully as it could have gone and we got some really good players and some people really into the game. We also had some people who recognized me after we ran the intro game which is also awesome.

That's pretty much the highlights of the weekend. It's more than 3 weeks late, but better than never.

No comments:

Firestorm Ink's Fan Box