Monday, April 2, 2012

RPG Review Recess - Dog Eat Dog

Liam Burke is running a kickstarter of his RPG called Dog eat Dog. He posted a notification saying that if you were going to play it, or were a designer and wanted to write something for it he'd give you the text in advance and you could use it to play. I asked if I could see it, and he was gracious enough to let me look at it. I have only one word for it. Wow. Wow. Wow. Just the text this book is only 9 pages, but I have not seen anything that comes remotely close to dealing with colonization. Ever. It's straightforward, the rules are simple to grasp, and if you've done any study in any type of Colonial history, or context you'll get why the rules are the way they are. Character creation is set up with just three or four descriptive words or phrases that help define the indigenous population and the colonizers. The game itself is a story game, which means that if you're looking for stats and figures and a lot of dice rolling you aren't going to find it here. That's also not really the point of this game. Because the rules themselves are geared towards the Colonizer. It's brilliant how that works too, you come to an agreement or one gets forced upon you. I can't wait to play this game. I really can't. I want to do something like do it over Skype or something just because ... yeah. I want to get this game played. If you need more reading there's a play report here by people far more important than I am. My suggestion, you go to the kick starter page and back it.

No comments:

Firestorm Ink's Fan Box